Skip to main content

The dogs of suburbia

Fears are not rational. But growing up, in my mind, it made perfect sense that a dog could bite me, and moreover, most likely would, given the chance. 

My fear was born of repeated backyard encounters with a mauling, snarling dog. We shared the yard with tenants who lived in the other side of our grandfather's house. This meant our sandpit was contested territory, my dolls were easy targets, and my young mind was easily imprinted with the image of slavering jaws crushing heads. Dolls' heads, true, but that had implications.

Sure, it wasn't me who had to contend with the bitzer terrier going for my dangling doodle-my brother seemed to emerge from that encounter mentally, and thankfully physically, intact. For me, bearing witness to the dolls' destruction and the attack on the tiny penis, the outcome proved more traumatic. Perhaps being that year older, my mind could seize the sense of threat?

What it meant for me was that my space in the world became curtailed. Boundaries bound me close to home, rather than roving freely through the suburban streets. I rode my bike in packs, but would not walk alone. I rode with an eye behind me, visualising the dog which would appear at any moment, going either for my ankles or my throat. There was a feeling, a black shadow, just over my shoulder. It made my childhood wanderings urgent, rather than meandering. It felt like my adventures were not quite my own.

In the gangs of my youth, I was the only girl. We played footy, climbed trees, made race tracks, read magazines, built clubhouses, dug tunnels, played cricket, made up pranks and revealed our bits in our friend's backyard bungalow. But on the paths between our safe zones, I felt constantly at risk. I did not choose to walk the neighbourhood, or explore another street, because who knew if a free ranging dog might emerge from a driveway and rip my head off? I was aware of the limits to my freedom that this fear imposed, but what could I do? I had to stick close to others, not go it alone, not venture out to explore. To expose myself was unthinkable.

Dog, drawing by my son, Noah 2014

In the school yard, I was on constant alert for any dog that might breach the perimeters. At the sight of the lolloping family pet, which to me no doubt looked like a killer, I would either run at top speed, or collapse to the asphalt and wet my pants. Running of course, was a pretty bad option, as the dog would usually give chase. Confirming for me my worst imaginings: that I was indeed the target and that the dog could smell my fear. Once I ran so hard and locked myself in the toilets for so long that the class could not find me when lessons started. I was behind a cubicle door, sweating and shaking. 

The thing about dogs smelling fear is true, apparently. That hardly helps. The fear surges upwards at the sight of the dog, the panic sets in at the thought of the fear, the heartrate goes up in conjunction with the panic, the sweat seems to tingle outwards and I would just know: the dog can smell it on me, my fear.

Now I am older. Not a kid on a bike, peddling in terror from the black shadow over my shoulder. There really has been a black dog at times over the years. A sense of threat and urgency has never left me. It still seems to make some sense to me that threats to my self and safety are imminent. Many things that scare me I have kept beyond the boundaries, but now I'm looking to tear down some fences, even if the dogs can still smell the fear.



© Anna Sublet 2014

This version, June 2014

Postscript:

I had a happy golden ending to add, with the golden lab that came into our lives:

Edited version appeared in The Guardian, 28/12/17





 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading this.
    A fantastic piece on post traumatic stress. You depicted it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet, thanks so much. I am proud of this piece. It evolved from being about a specific fear, to exploring bigger issues. In the process I had to accept some unacknowledged truths about myself. I'm pleased you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Widening Crack

The little flame in our forty-year-old wall furnace, the one that was supposed to hold tight, hang on and persist, was being extinguished, again and again. The pilot light had become unanchored, blown away and shut down. We were in lockdown, in a Melbourne winter.  We had been bunkered down in our homes on and off over the last two years. We had sat tight as we amassed days upon days of lockdown. At one stage, the summer came. We had mask-free beaches, we had open cinemas and bars.  But then, another Covid gust gutted us in 2021 and shut us back inside. Here we were, like a little pilot flame, buffeted and blown away but still holding out for better days. I would walk past the heater to find that the fan was blowing cold air into the small home. Each time we re-lit the pilot light, it didn’t last long before it was gone. Still, we kept holding onto hope as we sat through the days of rising case numbers and deaths. The gas technician (essential worker; exemption) was on his hands and kn

The Waiting

Morning walk.  I wake too late to do my nature writing workshop so I decide to get out into nature instead! Head off at about 7 am, sustained on half a cup of hot water with lemon, a banana and a snack KitKat. Make it to the backbeach in time to see the gold coming up from behind the sand dunes, flowering light from the lighthouse. Tiny black and white wren on the rocks, the Plover family just foraging. A heavy gull takes off when I approach. It flies past me, sits and waits, and flies back as it senses I’m no danger. I take photos and slow-mo videos. I can hardly make out the flying birds as they rise into the dark clouds.  I keep stopping to look at things. At one point I lie with my back in the sand on the edge of the dunes. All around the waves continue coming in and the birds call. What would I do without this?  At the lighthouse, Galahs wheel and screech, their pink bellies exposed as they fly above me. A couple fall behind, screeching ‘wait for me, wait for me!’ Further around t

Currawongs Spinning me Home

When the branches of Eucalyptus botryoides fall, as they often do, they root again and continue to grow. The tree is its own ecosystem. Currawongs, sleek black birds with their flash of white at the tail, build their nests, made of sticks and lined with soft material, high up in trees like this.  Some months ago, I stood in shock as arborists began to cut this tree on the next block down, over two days of vicious chain-sawing and woodchipping. I filmed the screaming tree, as it shuddered, shook and then gave way, limbs falling with the ‘thunk’ of a human body.  The tree danced a ballet for its dying and the currawongs lost one of their homes. Many love the currawong for its song, a mix of honey, with a note of uplift, a soaring whip almost, mellifluous on the updraft, ringing from up high. It sounds like an entreaty, a lament and an invitation. The onomatopoeic word, currawong , depicts the sound of their call.  Decades ago, for me these birds were synonymous with NSW, and it was a st